HR Licence


  • Heavy Rigid Driving Lessons cost $110.00 per hour no GST
  • Heavy Rigid Warm up drive and Test cost $290.00 no GST
  • Heavy Rigid Licence in a Day $795 (Synchromesh and Automatic Gearboxes only – Licence Condition B)
  • Heavy Rigid Condensed Course $1,450 (Non synchromesh / Roadranger Gearbox i.e. double clutching technique)
  • Average number of lessons for the HR Licence Condition B (synchromesh and automatic gearboxes)  is 4-6
  • Average number of lessons for the HR non synchromesh / roadranger gearbox is approximately 12
  • However, we have no minimum or maximum number of lessons, you will just have what you need to be test ready.

A HR Licence is the highest class of licence you can obtain from a car licence.

HR vehicles can have 3 or more axles.

There are 3 types of Heavy Rigid Licences obtainable (different because of their gearbox restrictions). Please read the licence conditions below to ascertain which licence best fits your needs.

Licence Conditions:

Heavy Rigid Condition A (HRA): Can drive Automatic gearbox only

Heavy Rigid Condition B (HRB): Can drive Synchromesh (single clutch movement like a manual car as opposed to double clutch) and Automatic gearbox only

Heavy Rigid Unconditional / Open : Can drive any Heavy Rigid Truck – Automatic, synchromesh and non synchromesh gearboxes i.e. crash box or road ranger.

TIP : If you already hold a manual (synchromesh) car licence, regardless of whether you take your lessons and test in the Heavy Rigid truck with an automatic or synchromesh gearbox, you will end up with the same licence a HRB (can drive Synchromesh and Automatic gearbox only). The reason for this being that you have already previously demonstrated during a past driving test that you can use a vehicle with a synchromesh gearbox and for test purposes you do not have to do it again.

TIP : If you already hold an open MR, with no restrictions or conditions on your Licence you could consider undertaking your HR Licence in our automatic truck and you would end up with an open / unconditional HR. After obtaining your Licence, we could then offer you training or refresher training in a HR truck with a crash box / road ranger gearbox without the stress of having a driving examination at the end of it.

However, be aware that MR licence holders, who have held their licence for more than 1 year) are also permitted to go to HC so you should also give consideration to this option – lifting the class and the gearbox restriction at the same time.

Therefore your decision on which truck to learn and take your practical driving test in i.e. HR open, HR Synchromesh or HR Automatic, would take into account your reasons for obtaining a HR Licence, your budget constraints, what licence your employer (potential employer) requires you to have, whether you intend to progress with your driving career further in the future and whether in your day to day life, you prefer to drive an automatic or a manual vehicle.

Obviously, the HR open licence no conditions is the best licence to get, you will be licenced to use any HR truck,  It also make easier it you intend to get a HC or MC licence in the future, you will be able to use a truck with an automatic or synchromesh gearbox to tow the trailers to gain an open licence.  As previously stated, for test purposes you will not have demonstrate that you can use a road ranger gearbox again.

If you currently hold a manual car licence, you may make the decision to use an automatic truck to gain your HR with a condition B Licence (synchromesh and automatic).  You are permitted to do this as you have previously demonstrated that you can drive a vehicle with a manual gearbox you do not have to do it again for test purposes. This pathway may work for you if your employer has sent you and you know what truck you are going to be driving on a day do day basis, you will have the Licence necessary to do the job but can take the time to gain the experience in a vehicle assigned to you.

However, if you are looking for work, you should definitely consider having your lessons in the HR Synchromesh truck as it is more industry relative and is going to increase your chances of getting a job as opposed to just obtaining your licence.  When at interview, if you are asked to demonstrate that you can drive the truck, you are going to feel far more comfortable if you have driven at least 1 truck with a synchromesh gearbox before.  This process is becoming very common in the workplace and is often referred to as a “VOC” verification of competency.

This VOC process, is extremely common with employers who are looking to employ people to drive any of their trucks with non synchromesh (roadranger) gearboxes.  In today’s workplace, more than ever before, you need to undertake good quality training, to equip you with the practical skills to do the job i.e. you do not want to be driving down the road crunching gears.  It is highly likely that if you took short cuts with your training, you will pay the price with not securing the job.

This is where we fit in as a driving school, we never sit still.  We try very hard every day to create a low stress, friendly atmosphere, conducive to learning.  We work on our teaching methods, technical knowledge (new technologies coming out all the time), industry’s needs, changes in road rules and Legislation and we endeavour to pass as much useful information on to our students as possible.  Our aim is that you leave here, with a Licence, some knowledge,  a good quality practical skill set and the confidence to drive the vehicle and secure a job, or if you already have a job, that your employer can see the value in the training you received.



Examples of employment opportunities with HR (condition B) licence are:

  • Around town freight, local deliveries, most big companies
  • Surfside Bus Lines, JJ Richards garbage collectors, many of the Concrete companies

Examples of employment opportunities with an HR unconditional licence are:

  • Tip trucks
  • Progressing to semi trailers, interstate and Quarries
  • Really heavy loads

TIP : The HR Open Licence is the This is the best licence you can go to from a car licence. If you obtain an unconditional open HR licence at the outset, after 12 months you progress to either HC or MC. You could then take your practical driving test in an automatic truck and still end up with an unconditional open HC or MC. You do not have to demonstrate the ability to operate a truck with a non synchromesh gearbox again.